Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tidbits

Aunt Philly's Toothbrush Rugs!!

Dear Friends,

Here are a few tips that I wanted to share with you. You can view my demonstration video here if you would like to see more.

Rugs that are made with 100% cotton are the best. The fabric strips have less raveling. Cotton is more absorbent, has more loft, also very soft and nicer on the hands while making it. However, rugs can be made from old clothing and sheets.

Always work your rug on a flat surface, not in your lap. If you want to work on your rug in your lap, use a flat surface such as a lap board, portable ironing board, large book, or cutting board. Increasing on the curves: On your first curve increase only twice, on the next curve increase three times, then you will increase three times on each curve for several rows. At some point you might have to increase four or five maybe even six. Watch for gaps and if there is a gap, increase.

If your rug is wavy, you are increasing too much. If you rug is cupping up, you are not increasing enough.

Your tension is set by your index finger; if you are right handed it is set by your left index finger, if you are left handed it is set by your right index finger. Don’t pull you stitch tighter after you have taken you finger out of the stitch.

When you use a 2” wide strip, your stitch from top to bottom should measure 7/8”.
When you use a 1” wide strip, your stitch from top to bottom should measure 1/2”.

When you make your starting row it will twist don't panic ! After you make your starting row don't forget to make sure that your stitches are evenly spaced out on the runner. If they aren't spread them out a little and that will take away some of the twisting. Some of the twisting is ok.

The "Toothbrush Rug" is made from torn strips of fabric and a modified toothbrush. These rugs are quick to make and require no sewing and have a fast tearing technique which shows you how to tear all your fabric in just minutes. All projects are machine washable, dryable and last for years !

9 comments:

  1. My dear Aunt Phillys
    Blessing from my heart
    God bless
    Gordon Gerber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering when ordering products how quickly items are shipped out. Are orders acknowledged via email?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question about the curves in the oval rug. Are there 3 stitches to the curve. One in the middle and one on each side. Or just the one in the middle is the curve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made a couple of rugs, and I love doing it. I was wondering if cutting the strips with a rotary cutter would work as well. Even when I use 100% cotton, I have so many strings! Is it really better to tear the strips, or is it just easier?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you shown a dentist these rugs? Cause I'm pretty sure that he would totally enjoy looking at these types of rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aunt Philly,

    Your idea is great. Thanks for sharing such nice post.

    spiral brush online

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Post with information regarding great use! The ways you have illustrated the information is impressive. Thanks!
    Ryan Levin | Ryan Levin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just viewed your Oval Rug Instructional Video and I can't wait to start my first project. I want to mention that I was impressed with your testimony regarding accepting Jesus Christ as our personal Savior. I too am a Christian and gave praise with raised hands for your discipleship. Well done good and faithful servant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very interested in your toothbrush-tool. Are you shipping to Paraguay? How much would it cost. I would like to order 5 tools.

    ReplyDelete